Subscribe to my full feed.

Monday, October 22, 2007

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

Whenever Captain America utters that famous line in the Marvel comic world, its usually followed by members of the Avengers instantly appearing out of the woodworks to battle whatever current baddies is in town. As if magically Captain America's voice brings forth these members from everywhere around the world.

Of course its probably just a communication device Iron Man built for him, and the magically appearing might be because the Avengers are all superpowered heroes.

It used to seem fantastic being able to communicate to people from around the globe instantly, without delay and without a phone, its stuff only reality in comic books or films. The technology was there, its just expensive and usually unwieldy. Bluetooth? Wifi? Skype? They didn't exist.

Now I can do video conferencing with my friends in Hong Kong, Australia, California, Canada all at once, and all from the comfort of my room. I'm not Captain America, or some ridiculously paid CEO. I'm just a in between job, 23 years old college student with a laptop.

VoIP programs like Skypes and other similar programs are bringing communication to the next level, from boardrooms to the battlefields. Creating real life situation where a military commander can call upon his troops and "assemble" them in a matter of minutes via video screens and/or speakers. While at the same time businesses can conduct their negotiation from different continents using the same technology.

I'm just in awe of what technology can allow us to do today, and what it can lead to in the future.

Now if only I can get my hands on Captain America's Shield and I'll be set.

4 comments:

Map Finder said...

I too want Captain America's shield! Also, I agree with you at how amazing technology has gotten in the last several years. It's incredible what businesses can do to communicated with each other. For example, things don't have to be done in person anymore, and likewise, people don't have to settle for just telephone. You can now visually see everyone that you're talking to in a conference call. I love it... it means less travelling usually, and therefore you can have more time to spend with your family.

ErinB8185 said...

It is pretty amazing that we have these capabilities. And they are really amazing. Personally, I tend to take them for granted. I can't imagine life without things like AIM or Google Talk. And its great that I can maintain relationships with people from all over the world. However, I think the problem is that people use these tools in place of personal contact. So even though these are great tools, I think it's important not to over-use them.

Oh and you should go on ebay to get your shield. i bet it would work if you had the shield.

Sir William McDoogavich said...

if you want to actually talk on the battlefield, technologies created utilized by Microsoft's XBOX LIVE allow you to talk and video chat with other 'combatants' around the globe while fragging away.
This isn't so much geared towards business unless you like to have your meetings take place during World War II.

Allie said...

Haha, you blog is always entertaining!! How can you even think of link communication tools and Captain America!! I really want to have that abilities so that I can be more comfortable with communicating people.

And, like Erin said, I also got used to these communication tools and just take them for granted. No matter when I pull the all nighter, I log on to MSN messenger and talk to my korean friend(I mean, when I have a brean between working or studying :)), it is always nice time to talk and easy to chat over the internet.

Still, I just want more that these like Captain America's shield.