Subscribe to my full feed.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Virtual Handshake

I'm terribly sorry for this late post. My broadband connection has been ADHDing the entire weekend, and then BANG! the power adapter to the router decided to take a dirt nap. Its a miracle that I can even write this blog in time.

Moving on...

I used to belong to an underground Japanese manga translation group, maximum7. We all met online from different corners of the world every week to translate and produce English versions of Japanese comics. Most of us, if not all, never met face to face. The recruitment was done online, the work was done at home and sent out to an editor through the web, who then releases it online.

Everything was done virtually. Everything can be done virtually, and now-a-days, that includes networking.

This leads to me to the article I was reading about virtual networking. The Six Degrees of Cooperation by Yasmin Gharemani, which reminds me a lot about this article about Lois Weisberg that I read earlier this semester. It's all about who you know. And Now-a-days, that doesn't always mean you've met face-to-face.

Sites like LinkedIn, and Facebooks are now the future of networking. Just like search engines, these will and some already are integrated into major corporations. These applications can maximize firm wide resources. Contacts and buyers can be shared. Talents can be found. There won't be redundant hirings, because someone within a firm may already have the skills to do a job. It saves money and increase revenue. Theoretically of course.

Why only theoretically? because this is still untested water. Sure networking sites has been around for a while now. Everyone knows how to use them, and everyone do use them. However, business networking is in a totally different ballpark. There needs to be guidelines, and incentives. The application must be able to protect contacts as well as share them. Concerns of the employees must be addressed. The potentials of these apps are great, but these points must be taken into considerations before implementations.

Okay...onto other topics.

Redskins. Holy crap did they get reamed today. I hope they finally realize how bad they are and finally shape up, instead of continuing to coast, like the last 7 games. (I'm still a fan! for now anyway)

Well that's it for now, hopefully next week I won't have as much trouble getting my blog published. =P

*edited 10:00am 10/29
because I published the wrong draft v_v; GIVE ME A BREAK virtual GOD...sheesh

1 comment:

Map Finder said...

Hey Peter,

I think that there are certain occupations or professions that really don't require a lot of networking to get into. For example, if you want to work for the city sewage/waste management service, picking up trash, then simply applying and not knowing anyone at the establishment isn't really a big deal. I think that people who don't want to have to deal with others in online social contexts should just improve their own persons to the extent that their resume is a shining star, and cannot be ignored. That type of person is who I don't imagine needing much help getting a job, i.e. knowing someone on the inside in order to get into a company.